Charlie’s nickname is ‘Brain” because of his extreme knowledge of football. His hometown hasn’t had a football team in nearly 20 years though. The owner of the pitiful team, his best friend’s grandfather, allows him to sit with him in his suite at the stadium at all home games. When Charlie suggests that they need Tom Pinkett, a quarterback from the Cincinnati Bengals that is trying to make the team, he agrees. Their new quarterback plays very well. But there is one problem, the GM disagreed and all of the media is focused on Charlie because of the fact that he helped the team. Can Charlie Gaines survive the media and the GM?
The book was filled with suspense and entertainment. I loved how the author used words to describe the actions and feelings of the characters throughout this fascinating book. Fantasy League had the perfect characters for every single part because of the fact that there needs to be an old owner on each team and some child that influences the ending of the book. The cliff hangers at the end of each chapter kept me on my toes and I wanted to read badly at the end of them.
The most memorable thing that happened in the book was when Charlie used his knowledge of football to help his football team, the Culver City Cardinals win a few games.
Reviewed by Ben, grade 6, Twin Hickory Area Library
Published by AdrienneTheLibrarian
ABOUT … Adrienne, Teen Librarian & Digital Media Lab Librarian at Libbie Mill Library.
Hi, I’m Adrienne, and I’ve been a Teen Librarian at HCPL since 2006. I started at Twin Hickory and moved to Libbie Mill in 2015. Come visit our Teen Room and check out all we have for you -- books, great study and hanging out space, free computers, free classes in 3D design & printing, Coding, Photoshop and soooo much more!
Random stuff about me:
* Favorite book: Hmmmm, this is hard, since it changes all the time as I read new stuff and depending on what mood I’m in. However, there is one book that I know will still make me snort with laughter even when I’m 80 years old — The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams.
* Favorite food: perfectly made toast
* Favorite band/music: Cake. I will never get enough Cake.
* Favorite reference question: Q: How long does it take the galaxy to rotate once? A: It’s called a galactic or cosmic year and it takes about 225-250 million earth years.
* Pets: I have two cats and a dog. Marcus and Grey are the cats who were rescued from a box in the woods when they were just little puffballs. When they are not acting insane, they are very sweet and purr loudly. My dog is named Peter and he's a medium size poodle mix (we call him the substandard poodle). He's got floppy ears, snores and loves green beans.
View all posts by AdrienneTheLibrarian